Choosing a veterinarian can feel overwhelming. Here are some tips and important things to keep in mind to help you select the right veterinarian for you and your cat.
Although it seems intuitive, start by selecting a veterinarian who really likes and gets cats. – Dr. Elizabeth Colleran, DVM, MS, DAVBP (Feline)
Easy Tips for Choosing a Veterinarian
Although it seems intuitive, start by selecting a doctor who really likes and understands cats! Some veterinarians, even if they like cats, are more dog-focused. Here are some tips to help choose a cat-focused veterinarian.
- Set up an appointment – Meet with the veterinarian or veterinary team to check out their services in person.
- Reach out to front desk staff – Ask them to recommend a doctor on their team who is likes cats, excels in working with them, and is interested in feline medicine and surgery.
- Partner – Look for a veterinarian who really wants to work with you in making decisions that are best for you and for your cat.
- Discussions – Look for a veterinarian who spends time answering your questions, and who discusses issues other than vaccines with you. Veterinarians who like cats should discuss feline nutrition and behavior. These discussions will really help you to provide the best home environment and care for your cat.
- Cat Friendly Practice® – Choose a Cat Friendly Practice® as designated by the American Association of Feline Practitioners. Cat Friendly Practices® take specific steps to make sure they understand cats’ unique needs, implement feline-friendly standards, and decrease stress and provide a more calming environment for you and your cat.