Selecting a veterinarian can sometimes feel overwhelming. Here are some tips and important things to keep in mind as you select the right veterinarian for you and your cat.
Although it seems intuitive, start by selecting a veterinarian who really likes and gets cats. – Dr. Elizabeth Colleran, DVM, MS, DAVBP (Feline)
Easy Tips for Choosing a Veterinarian
Although it seems intuitive, start by selecting a veterinarian who really likes and understands cats! Some veterinarians, even if they like cats, are more dog-focused and their strongest interests are in the area of canine medicine. So how do you know?
- Set up an appointment – Meet with the veterinarian or veterinary team before committing to use their services.
- Reach out to front desk staff – Ask if they can recommend a doctor on their team who is especially fond of cats, who really excels in working with them, and who has a strong interest in feline medicine and surgery.
- Partner – Look for a veterinarian who really wants to form a partnership with you in making decisions that are best for you and for your cat.
- Discussions – Look for a veterinarian who will spend time answering your questions, and who will discuss issues beyond vaccines with you (nutrition and behavior are particularly important to address). These discussions are the ones that will really help you to provide the best home environment and care for your cat.
- Cat Friendly Practice® – Choose a practice that has been designated as a Cat Friendly Practice® by the American Association of Feline Practitioners. Cat Friendly Practices® have taken specific steps to make sure that they understand cats’ unique needs, have implemented feline-friendly standards, and have made changes to decrease stress and provide a more calming environment for you and your cat.